Thursday, May 2, 2013

St. Patrick's Cathedral

My first thought when I saw St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin was whoa. The sheer size of the cathedral was impressive and the ornateness of the décor was stunning.

 
Even more impressive was the history behind the cathedral. It was at this site that St. Patrick is believed to have baptized Christians around the year 450 AD, the first account of there being a building here dates to 890 AD, and the current cathedral was built between the years 1220-1260 AD. This site has been occupied for over 1000 years! It’s mind-blowing to me that this kind of architecture was being built before the Americas were even discovered.  Where I’m from, it’s difficult to find a building that dates back to the 1700s.
 
 
After wandering around inside the cathedral, admiring everything, my friend and I headed out to the park next door to the cathedral. In it we saw a stone stating that the well St. Patrick used for baptism was located nearby. We spent the next few minutes looking for it, but were called back to the tour bus before we could find it.  
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment